My Current Favorite Sciptures:


Current Favorite Scriptures:
Ps. 31:24
24 Be of a good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Good Grief!

O.k., so my mom was an amazing track star in High School, and when we were all young, she would take us running with her. So I was always very comfortable running, but because of having so many babies, and the fact that we seem to have no time, I have to admit, I fell of the fitness wagon. Let me tell you, I so regret that! Well, my sis Tiff, and my Sis Tara, have been such wonderful examples. They both have not given in to the whims of the day, and have continued to maintain their fitness levels quite well. In fact, Tiffany is planning on running a marathon this spring, and Tara just finished a half a marathon. So I don't know if I'm being competitive, or just feeling like a looser, but I've decided if they can do it, than I should be able to do it as well. Well let me tell you, I do have one small disadvantage I'm dealing with, Plantar Fasciitis!


It's the weirdest thing! When I'm running, I don't feel a thing, but when I wake up, I'm hobbling around the house like I'm 90 years old! So here's my dilemma, should I push though it, since I don't have any pain while I'm running, or should I lay off my feet for a while(which I really don't want to do, since I'm having so much fun getting back in shape)? I decided I'd go biking this evening, instead of running. I get out there on the main road, and I realize I'm having a panic attack! I start telling myself, "those cars are going to HIT me!!!" You see, in some parts of the road, there is literally no shoulder. It's rush hour, and cars are whizzing by(I know, real smart, go biking during rush hour). So I decide, Aaron should come along with me, he'll know how to handle the situation, and if I do get hit, at least I'll have him nearby to call 911. So I beg him to come, and feeling a bit guilty, since he just got home from work, and that's probably the last thing he feels like doing-- but he did it, just for me. What a sweetie! Well I head out again, and even with him leading the way, fear strikes again. He's going on his merry way, while I carefully maneuver my bike, trying to keep it steady, as I stay on the white line. I call out to him,"I can't do it, I'm way too scared!" Does he hear me? Of Course not, he's now like 200 yards ahead of me! I'm forced to decide, should I turn around, or follow my hubby, who's way ahead. I go with the later option, and continue my journey. We biked up this huge hill with cars speeding by, my heart's racing, and I'm praying like crazy! Aaron stops 3/4's of the way up, and that's when we both looked at each other, panting like crazy-- both thinking the same thing, we are WAY out of shape! Well, we made it up the hill, and back home, ALIVE! I'm now a wee bit more comfortable. Maybe next time I'll actually enjoy the ride, but tomorrow I think I'll try my luck with running. By the way, if any of you have had plantar facsiitis before, any advice, is greatly appreciated!

4 comments:

Tara said...

Trina that was so funny! That would be really scary with the cars so close, but you just painted such a funny picture of your panic attack, I couldn't stop laughing. First of all, let me say that I am jealous that you guys actually have the option of riding bikes together and leaving the kids at home. I can't wait until Makenzie is old enough to babysit. But second of all, I think the biking is an awesome idea and a great alternative to running while you give your heel a break. I'm sorry about that dumb heel thing, that's so frustrating (and the hobbling like a 90-year-old woman visual was funny as well). I hope there is something you can do. Keep up the great work! You inspired me to wake up early and I got up to work out at 5:30 3 times this week, it was great!!

Chardell said...

I loooove running. Unfortunately I was told about 8 years ago not to run anymore because I have bad knees. Still there have been a few times when I've been walking and couldn't help but break into a run. My knees paid for it later though they never hurt at the time just like your feet. Right now I love my elliptical. It's as fun as running and I can watch some of my TIVO'd shows while doing it. The biggest plus is that it's easy on the body. You should try one.

The Kemps said...

Trina, you are so amazing!! I found your blog through Ashlie H.'s. Did you ride on Mary Ann Cleveland????? Holy scary!!! My sweet hubby trains on that road and it scares me to death...those cars go so fast!!! You are so brave!!!

I don't know if you're interested in short races but there are a couple coming up that I'm trying to talk myself into. I'd love to do a 1/2 marathon but find training time to be so limited. If you ever need someone to run with give me a call!

FYI ...5K this Sat. at Purple Heart Park...turkey trot at Reed Park at the end of Nov...Jingle Bell Run at Cienega in Dec.

amyraye said...

My good friend, Aimee, has that Plantars Fascitus (sp?) stuff. She says it's miserable. I know she has special inserts for her shoes, but I'll have to get some more info from her.
Are you still running?