My Current Favorite Sciptures:


Current Favorite Scriptures:
Ps. 31:24
24 Be of a good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It's Been a While

No, I did not die-- even though it may have seemed like it.  I did, however, attend a funeral this week and I found out yesterday morning, that my choir teacher (the one I had in middle school and all through high school) died.

When my mom called to tell me the sad news yesterday, it caught me off guard.  I didn't realize how sad loosing my choir teacher would make me feel.  I guess, out of all my teachers, she was the one I was closest to.  She definately influenced me.  She taught me a lot about singing and dancing.  We worked hard preparing show choir competitions.  I have many good memories of her.  It was hard to know that her life ended at such a young age.  She had so much energy! 

I cried on and off yesterday morning, and found myself wanting to listen to the Hymn Each Life That Touches Ours For Good. 

1. Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.


2. What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.


3. When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.


4. For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior’s name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above.
Text: Karen Lynn Davidson, b. 1943.


Listening to this song helped me feel better, and allowed me to move on with my day.  I really like Dustin Gedhill's version of this hymn on his CD, Always.  Actually, I love all of that CD, and I especially like to play it when I feel emotionally drained.  It uplifts me when I listen to it. 

Anyways, my week wasn't all filled with sad news. 

Aaron and I went to the Temple on Saturday.  Some members of our ward drove up to the temple, and watched our kids for us.  It was a special day for Aaron and I.  We haven't gone since last May or so.  I just love going, it really blesses our marriage and helps us both feel closer to Heavenly Father.

We've been working on work samples again.  They're due every month, and it takes some time.  The kids all have to submit a writing sample and a math sample. Can you believe it-- I'm already thinking about Spring break?  :)  I might actually might have the time to finish organizing our garage.

I'm going to Stake Choir practice every Thursday evening.  There's going to be this amazing musical fireside, with the most beautiful music about the Savior.  I'm serious, this music is so beautiful, it often brings tears to my eyes.  You can just feel the spirit, and the words go straight to your heart.  You mine as well hang up singing when that happens.  :)  Morgan's singing with me as well, and we love it!

Yesterday was pretty much a big playday.  Even though the day started out sad, I got to go to lunch with an amazing group of women.  They're all so fun to hang out with, and we do it on a monthly basis.  So cool.  Later in the day, we had FHE with our good friends, the Kemp's.  They told us about this children's play that was held at the high school next to us.  It was so fun, all of us had a blast!  Even Abigail, was giggling through the entire play.  We are so blessed to have found such wonderful friends!

This week was a busy one, and I just didn't feel like adding blogging to my list.  Maybe I'll do better this week, maybe not.  I hope so.

5 comments:

Larry said...

You are an amazing woman, wife and mother--we are so blessed that you are part of our family!

Trina Barry said...

Dad, that means a lot to me! Thanks for your kind words, and I'm so glad that I get to be a part of your amazing family! You guys are so fun to be around, and every time I make a pie, I have Mom to thank-- she taught me how to make pie crusts the easy way! In fact, I'm going to pass along her knowledge to a friend of mine. Love you guys!

Tara said...

When Mom told me about Ms. Ferguson (or Mrs. Gregory as I ended up calling her), I was just really shocked at first, but as I started thinking about all those memories and what a great lady she was, I was really sad. And when I thought about how it's show choir season right now and her students probably have some competitions coming up, I got emotional. She really loved our family, too, and I got to reap some of those benefits as the youngest. She invited me to serve at her wedding, she only asked 4 of her students and no other students were invited (too many!). She asked Maria Starnes and me, and a couple others since our families had meant a lot to her. So yeah, I wish we could go to her funeral.
Glad to hear you guys are doing some good things! We need to get to the temple, too!

Rebecca said...

Trina- I love this post! I'm so sorry about your choir director. I'm glad you and Aaron got to go to the temple together- that is one of the best things in the world! And it's so funny you mentioned Melba's pie crusts in your comment b/c it immediately made me think of when I was little and hearing my mom say, at one of the holidays, that Melba was making the pies b/c she had the best pie crust recipe. Can you send me Melba's recipe? Here's my email: rsmith1976@yahoo.com. Thanks!!

amyraye said...

Trina- I'm so sorry about your choir teacher and your other friend that passed away. that in itself can affect your emotions and energy for the entire week. it's nice to hear what's going on in your lives. this week has been extra busy for me, too. i've still been posting, but i haven't had time to read anyone's posts.