My Current Favorite Sciptures:


Current Favorite Scriptures:
Ps. 31:24
24 Be of a good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Rare Treat

I never thought I'd ever miss rain, after living with it almost on a daily basis in WA.  While living in WA, I craved seeing the blue sky and sunshine, something I had always taken for granted back home.  When we first moved to AZ, I would find myself exclaiming to the neighbors, "wow, it's a beautiful day!"  They'd look at me a little funny and nod, like they had no idea what I was talking about.  I realized that sunshine and blue skies was just, well, normal.  All of my friends would talk about rain like it was something really great, something to yearn for.  I thought that I would never reach that point, where I would actually crave rain. 

We haven't had rain for months, and all of us (including myself), have been holding our breath for rain.  Summers in Tucson come with the expectation of rain-- it's Monsoon season.  It's a time when we have wonderful thunderstorms, however, they can be quite scary.

For the past week or so, it seemed that the heaven's were taunting us.  We'd see rain clouds and lightening in the distance, but the storms never quite made it our way.  My friend, Amber, posted this great quote on FB for her status: "‎"Clouds still with shadowy moisture haunt the earth" - Keats. I think he must have lived in S. AZ during monsoon season."  I think that was a perfect way to describe how we were feeling.

Well tonight it finally R-A-I-N-E-D!!!!!!!!  :)  Yes, if you were on FB, you may have seen this already.  Aaron was at work, so it was just the kids and I at home when the storm hit.  We were all jumping around, happy and excited.  The storm started with a sprinkle, and then, in a matter of minutes-- DOWNPOUR, LIGHTENING, THUNDER, and WIND!!!

The kids all seemed to look a little nervous.  Then the fear set in.  No one would get near the windows and I have to write down what I heard:

Sarah asked me if she could eat with a plastic spoon instead of a metal one, she was sure she would attract lightening.

Christian said, "the windows are going to blow in."

Anderson kept saying over, and over, and over (he's really into the whole repetition thing), "it's raining!"

Madison said, "you can hear it on the roof!"

Kaitlyn- "can we splash outside in the puddles when the storm's done?"  Which we did.  :)

Morgan kept repeating over and over again (maybe it's a boy thing) "this is AWESOME," with his bedroom blinds pulled wide open.

Even little Abigail open her mouth and said, "AWE", while pointing to the window. 

It was great, and when it ended we had the most beautiful sunset to top it off!  What a blessing, R-A-I-N!!!!!!!!!!! :)

1 comment:

amyraye said...

rain is so different in arizona. i totally understand that craving for rain. the smell, the sensations, the stormy noises; it's all pretty amazing.