My Current Favorite Sciptures:


Current Favorite Scriptures:
Ps. 31:24
24 Be of a good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Gila Valley Temple Open House

I decided to interrupt my children's spotlights, and post a blog about our trip to the Gila Valley Temple Open House (which has taken me a while to complete).  We left early Monday, and arrived just 10 minutes before our 11 a.m. reservations.  The children were so excited, they kept asking the typical kid questions like, "Are we there yet?" or "How much longer?" 

The drive was beautiful since there is nothing around, just desert, farmland, wildflowers, and mountains.  The sky was blue, and there was no traffic-- just a peaceful family ride.  I read out loud to Aaron from June's book club book, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. 

We only stopped three times during our trip, first at Walgreen's for snacks, water, and tights, 2nd at Safeway (forgot the tights at Walgreen's, forgot the diapers at home), and 3rd at a convenient store on the way (name The Thing?) for candy and a soda for Aaron.  Google maps states it should have taken us 2 hours and 9 minutes, but as usual our trip ran longer, to the tune of 2 hours and 50 minutes.  Good thing we left early.

When we entered Thatcher, we didn't see the temple immediately.  We saw lot's of fast food, and banners on some of the restaurants that welcomed "Gila Valley Temple visitors."  We saw what we thought were The Living Scriptures vendors on the side of the road.  We kept driving, and the kids kept asking, "Are we there yet?" -- "How much longer?"

Just when we thought we'd never see it, we saw the Temple's spire with Angel Moroni as well as the Chapel's steeple.  They all inhaled and said,"Ahhh!!!"

When we pulled up to the temple, there were lot's of vehicles filing into the parking spaces and traffic directors showing us where to park.

I was worried that we wouldn't have time to let the kids use the bathroom before out tour started, but luckily there were portable toilets right by the parking spaces.

We walked toward the chapel, and through the doors.  When we entered, you could immediately feel the excitement of the moment .  There were lot's of ushers helping us know where to go.  They sat us down for a short 10 minute video on the purpose of temples. There was a pamphlet placed on each of the chairs, with pictures and a brief explanation of each of the rooms.  The kids loved their pamphlets, and looked at them while watching the video.  Christian noticed how the video had the same pictures of the rooms in his pamphlet.  He kept saying, "Look- Mom, I have that picture in my book!" 

After the video, we walked outside of the chapel and towards the Temple.  They asked us to slip paper slippers over our shoes to keep from tracking dirt in on the floors of the temple.  Everything was going well until it was Anderson's turn.  He refused to put them on over his shoes, so finally they let him take his shoes off, and he walked around in his socks.

The temple was so beautiful inside, and the artwork really drew me in.  I felt the spirit and cried as we went through the bride's room.  I realized how special that room is to me.  It reminded me of the moment I shared with my own mother right after I had been married to Aaron.  It was a special one, and we both knew things would never again be the way they had been.  I teared up all those years ago, and teared up again reflecting on that moment so long ago.  They had a picture of a mother with her small daughter hanging on the wall.  This made me think of my own daughters, and how one day, we will share the same experience.  

We then entered the endowment room.  It was breath taking!  There was the most lovely mural that wrapped all around the room, it was of the Gila Valley.  We were told that the artist wasn't even from the United States, but was able to capture the area's beauty so well by camping in the valley for an extended period of time.  The colors were all earth tones, and I love how he painted the blue sky, the mountains, ocotillo cacti with their orange blossoms, deer, the Gila river, plateaus, and even a tiny quail family.

Both the Celestial room and the sealing room had the most amazing chandeliers!  I can't  describe to you how beautiful, you'd just have to see them for yourself, but I do believe they're more beautiful than any others I've ever seen!  Abigail even notice them, and kept pointing her finger, trying to touch.

The kids loved looking through the mirrors of the sealing room, and how they symbolize the eternities.  There was this cute little one year old that noticed Abigail.  He just kept reaching for her, while his father held him.  He kept saying, "baby, baby," and they really seemed to like one another.  He wanted to touch her so badly, it was adorable.

As we left the temple, I was walking with Morgan, and he seemed stunned.  I asked him what he thought, and he said it was way more beautiful than he had thought it would be.  He said, "Mom, I'm going to get married in this temple!"  Then I said, "Great, you have the place-- now you just have to find the girl."  He smiled.

The whole family was happy, and I could tell the experience was a special one for us all.  We truly felt the spirit.  It was wonderful.



We took these pictures outside of the temple, and then piled in the van.  We decided to drive around town a bit to see if we could find some historical sites, and we happened to find Spencer W. Kimball's boyhood home!


This was quite the treasure!

We then went to Roper State Park, and had lunch on an island in the middle of Roper Lake!  It was a perfect day, not too hot, not too cold.  Just as we sat down and started to eat our lunch, the ducks noticed and started swimming our way, from all directions.  We started cracking up!  The kids were laughing, we were laughing, it was hilarious!  They just knew we were going to feed them, so we did!  Anderson was fascinated by the ducks and started quacking in a sweet voice just like them. 

Morgan said, "this is the best day ever!"  I agree, it felt so perfect!  We even found honeysuckles on that island!  Honeysuckles bring back memories of my childhood, and of my mother, teaching me how to pick off the bottom end of the flower, so the nectar comes out.  Then you lick the nectar, mmm...so good.  The kids all loved trying.  It was fun sharing something with them, that my mother had shared with me.

We then drove home. 

Aaron and I ended the day with a stroll around the neighborhood-- just us and Abigail!  The sun was setting, there was a gentle breeze in the air, and I just felt so thrilled that we were an eternal family! 

2 comments:

Donna Shoop said...

How cool! I love the temples! We recently got to take our family up to the Vancouver BC temple for the open house. I need to blog about that, too. I think it is so great to be able to take the kids in and let them see all of the beauty and feel the spirit! Our youth got to make a special trip, too.

amyraye said...

wow. the temple is a lot bigger than i thought it would be. what a great experience.