My Current Favorite Sciptures:


Current Favorite Scriptures:
Ps. 31:24
24 Be of a good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bountiful Baskets

I love participating in the Bountiful Basket food co-op here in AZ!  Just look what I picked up today for only $85 and some change:

I ordered:
  • two bushels of granny smith apples (You know what I'll be doing Mon., and possibly Tues.-- that's right, canning.)
  • cameo apples
  • bananas
  • pummelos, I've never tried these before, but I hear they're very tasty and a lot like grapefruit.
  • asian brown pears
  • mandarin oranges
  • lemons
  • limes
  • rio red grapefruit
  • celery
  • broccoli
  • two small bags of baby carrots
  • lettuce leaf
  • yams
  • butternut squash
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes
  • five loaves of whole wheat bread
  • and whole wheat and cranberry cereal bars
I think that's a pretty good deal, and we're eating healthy!  Every week the ingredients of our baskets change.  Last week we had zucchini, and I made this great zucchini soup recipe my friend, Aimee, gave me.   Here's the recipe, it was a hit at our house! 

Crema de Calabacitas

(Cream of Zucchini Soup)
http://www.recipezaar.com/, Oct. 2009

4 medium zucchini (~1 lb.)
2 cups of water
salt
2 tbsp cilantro
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1 (13 oz) can of evaporated milk
1 cup chicken broth
cilantro leaf (garnish)

Wash zucchini. Cut off stem ends, then cut into large pieces. Place in a saucepan. Add water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Cool zucchini in cooking liquid. Place zucchini, 1 cup cooking liquid and 2 tbsp cilantro in a blender; process until pureed. Heat butter in a medium saucepan. Add onion. Cook until tender but not browned. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute. Add pureed zucchini mixture, evaporated milk and chicken broth. Stir to blend. Season with salt if needed. Stir over medium heat until soup comes to a boil. Serve at once or chill and serve cold. Garnish each serving with a few whole cilantro leaves.

Anyways, I know they have sites in WA, UT, and AZ.  If you want to check it out visit:

Bountiful Baskets

4 comments:

Larry said...

Hmmmm, hmmmmm, good...that's what Trina's soups are, hmmmmm, hmmmmm, good! (with apologies to Campbell Soup company)

Rebecca said...

I am super jealous of your co-op! There is nothing like that here in Mississippi, I looked. I wish I was there, because I enjoy canning too- so I would totally help you! Have fun :)

Justin said...

(this is Tara) That is a lot of food! And that soup sounds really good, I will definitely try that this summer when we have too much zucchini to handle. Thanks for sharing!

Leahona said...

Thanks for the idea. I went to the co op site and the only ones here in WAs are WAY up north from us. Oh well! I hope you have fun with all of your canning!