My Current Favorite Sciptures:


Current Favorite Scriptures:
Ps. 31:24
24 Be of a good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Talents

Tonight I'm thinking about talents and/or gifts. I truly think it's amazing how we've all been blessed with different talents, gifts, and skills. It sure is fascinating how we're all so different, and it's wonderful when we share our talents with others, it makes the world a more beautiful place to live in.

This evening I had the privileged to use a talent that God blessed me with, singing. I'm not perfect, but I enjoy it!  I was able to go to our Stake choir practice with my son Morgan, who's voice is coming along quite nicely. I really like the fact that we can go together, and I love that he's not too shy to share his voice! It's funny to walk into the chapel together because he's so much taller than me! I feel so short standing next to my 13 year old!  I actually think he looks more like a 15 year old.  His favorite song that we're singing is, "Anthem of Praise." I don't have a favorite, they're all lovely!

We had quite the turn out tonight! I really love it when there are so many people to sing with, it's just so powerful, and beautiful! I was lucky, and sat right next to the grand piano.  Our pianist is AMAZING!!! She's the choir director's daughter, and she is ON IT! Seriously, she never misses a beat!  I think she's probably headed towards becoming (if she's not already) a concert pianist!

I also sit next to a lady who's in her late 60's, and has sung in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. She has a beautiful voice, and is fun to sit with! She has so much energy, I can hardly keep up!

 She taught me a neat trick. She said, if you have allergies (which I do),  all you have to do is buy some peppermint oil, dab a bit on your tongue, and then sip some water.  Supposedly it will clean you out!  She's does that before she has to sing high notes. I think I'm going to have to try it out, since we're singing some really high notes, and I'm struggling to reach them.  It's bad.

I'm grateful that my Mom noticed that I like to sing and that she made me sing all those silly songs in our ward talent shows when I was little.  I remember her making me sing a song from the King and I:

 “I Whistle a Happy Tune”

Whenever I feel afraid
I hold my head erect
And whistle a happy tune
So no one will suspect
I'm afraid.

While shivering in my shoes
I strike a careless pose
And whistle a happy tune
And no one ever knows

I'm afraid.

The result of this deception
Is very strange to tell
For when I fool the people
I fear I fool myself as well!

I whistle a happy tune
And ev'ry single time
The happiness in the tune

Convinces me that I'm not afraid.
Make believe you're brave
And the trick will take you far.

You may be as brave
As you make believe you are...

I know she thought it was the funniest thing to see me sing this song on stage, when she knew, that truly--I was afraid.  I think there's a whistling part in the song (if I'm remembering right), that was so hard to nail-- I'm so not a whistler!

 Anyways...Mom, if you're reading this, I MISS SINGING WITH YOU WHILE YOU PLAY THE PIANO!!!  We sure have fun when were together!  Thanks for helping me develope a love for music! 

Oh, and just so you know, she went to EVERY performance of mine while growing up, and even played for my Juries in college.  We make a good team!

2 comments:

Larry said...

Trina, you have a very lovely voice and I miss hearing it. Is there some way you could record you singing a song and then embed it on your blog? Maybe on YouTube, then the blog?

Tara said...

I have been thinking lately about how I'm kind of sad music hasn't really been a part of our home. We sing a cappella for FHE but that's about it. Justin's mom said she will give us their piano someday though so that will be nice, especially since Justin can play. As much as I hated waking up to hymn after hymn on Sunday mornings (because I wanted to sleep in), I do miss having the sound of a piano in my home. I'm glad you are keeping music a part of your life and exposing your kids to it, too, it's great. You were definitely blessed with a beautiful voice and I'm glad you're sharing your talent!