My Current Favorite Sciptures:


Current Favorite Scriptures:
Ps. 31:24
24 Be of a good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Testimony Jar



During our last General Conference, one of the talks that stood out most to me was More Diligent and Concerned at Home by Elder David A. Bednar.

In his talk, Elder Bednar suggests "three ways in which each of us can become more diligent and concerned in our homes."

  • Express Love- and Show It
  • Bear Testimony- and Live It
  • Be Consistent

While listening to his talk during conference, I felt like we were doing pretty well with expressing love and showing it, but when he spoke to us about sharing our testimonies at home, I knew we could improve.

My initial thought to this admonition was that some of the members in our family might feel awkward.

This was really bothering me, because I knew that this is what we needed to do. I started thinking about ways we could roll out this concept. I wanted our family to really make this a priority and remain consistent.

The thought came to me to make a testimony jar. I decorated it and put all of our family member's names in it (well at least the ones that were old enough).

Every evening after scriptures, we pull out the testimony jar and draw a name. The person who's name is drawn bears their testimony. This has really worked for us! If we forget to use it, the kids will remind us!

Bearing our testimonies to one another has:

  • brought the spirit in our home
  • strengthened our testimonies
  • drawn us closer

I'm so grateful for the blessings we've experienced, as we've tried to apply this principle to our lives.

5 comments:

Larry said...

Wonderful idea, Trina. I wish we'd done that when our 5 were young ones. You and Aaron are such great parents!

Love,
Dad

amyraye said...

LOVED that talk; totally spoke to me, too. and really love this idea. we stuggle with that same awkwardness.

Trina Barry said...

Thanks Dad and Amy! This is really a simple idea, but has worked out well.

Hmmm, maybe I'll share some of their testimonies with you in a future blog entry.

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I know not only that talk spoke to me, but the testimony part especially. We definitely need work here. I may steal you idea.

Amanda said...

What a great idea!